Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"GLENWOOD CANYON RECREATION TRAIL"

I wanted to put 1 great road bike trail on my list of Colorado trails. This is the best paved trail (it's an out and back through beautiful Glenwood Canyon) I've seen in Colorado. It is accessible to hikers and bicyclists and begins in the town of Glenwood Springs and proceeds eastbound. It's fun to get there also, on scenic Interstate 70. The trail follows the Colorado River, which roars in the spring and is placid in the fall. The river is sometimes filled with kayakers to watch.
The total distance along the river trail is 16 miles or 32 out and back. I used to drive for hours just to ride this one. I don't do that for many "roadies". There's no motorized traffic allowed, a good thing. Closed in winter (it's often icy at a mile high) and during spring floods, this trail is free to access on National Forest land. trailcentral.com (see Garfield County at that site) has a decent web site for information.

visit my web site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment